Court dispute resolution

Updated: 8/7/2019

Sometimes a dispute cannot be handled by an ADR scheme. Then it is possible to bring civil action against a trader in court. 

A trial in a civil case is divided into preparation and the main hearing. The preparation consists of two parts, a written and an oral. Once the preparation is complete the district court calls the parties, witnesses and others to be heard in a meeting, called the main hearing. The civil law consists of either one or three judges.

If you are dissatisfied with the court's ruling, you can appeal to the Court of Appeal, and if the case is granted the appeal, the Court of Appeal will hear the case again in its entirety. The party who wishes to appeal against the judgment should do so in writing within three weeks of the judgment and send the appeal to the District Court. The district court will send the appeal and all documents in the case to the Court of Appeal that makes a retrial of the case.

If the Court of Appeal gives leave to appeal the parties is given the opportunity to respond on each other's arguments, but the possibility of raising new facts or evidence is limited. The Court of Appeal has the opportunity to decide the case without holding a main hearing.

A ruling of the Court of Appeal can be appealed to the Supreme Court.

Payment order / Injunction to pay

If someone owes you money, you can receive help from the Enforcement Authority to establish the debt. This is done through an application for an injunction to pay. You can also turn to the courts to obtain a ruling for an injunction to pay. You should take this option if the debt is disputed.

You can apply for an injunction to pay provided that:

  • the payment due date has passed
  • you are able to affect the debt via a hearing (it can be settled)
  • the debt is monetary.